You might be looking for a vegan candy to satisfy your sweet tooth, whether you’re heading to the movie theater, filling up Halloween candy bowls, or just want something sweet.
You may have come across Sour Patch Kids on your search and wondered; are these candies vegan?
In this article, we’ll tell you exactly what you need to know about Sour Patch Kids and whether or not they are vegan-friendly.
What Are Sour Patch Kids?
Sour Patch Kids have undergone numerous changes since they first debuted in the 1970s under the name “Mars Men” in an effort to capitalize on the space race that captivated both children’s and adults’ imaginations at the time.
Sour Patch Kids are sold all over the world under a few different names and are currently owned by parent firm Mondelez, which also produces Oreos and other snack foods.
It should not be surprising that Sour Patch Kids are made in numerous factories given their extensive distribution.
Sadly, not all factories follow the exact same recipe, therefore the ingredients vary depending on which country you buy them from.
Whether colors are used naturally or artificially makes the most difference.
Redberry, blue raspberry, pink strawberry, lemon, orange, lime, grape, and white pineapple flavors are all present in the typical combination.
Are They Vegan?
Going by the list of ingredients in Sour Patch Kids, it seems that they are in fact vegan!
Unlike other chewy candies, Sour Patch Kids aren’t made with gelatin or eggs to create their soft texture. This means that the candies contain no animal byproducts.
On the other hand, if you consider the unknown processing of sugar and the evidence that Mondelez does in fact use bone char in some of their products, you might not consider Sour Patch Kids to be vegan.
This is dependent on your own personal view of veganism. Whether the candies are vegan or not comes down to minor details, as there are no obvious animal products within Sour Patch Kids.
It’s up to you to decide what you’re comfortable with.
What Are The Ingredients In Sour Patch Kids?
For a more clear picture, we have listed the ingredients present in Sour Patch Kids that you might want to consider before deciding if the candies are suitable for your vegan diet.
- Sugar – Granulated sugar, which makes up the majority of this candy, is a potentially contentious ingredient. Despite being made from natural plant-based sugarcane or sugar beets, the processing method may not be vegan-friendly. Whether you feel comfortable with that or not depends on how much of a gamble you want to make.
- Invert Sugar – This substance, which is made by mixing fructose and dextrose to create a thick, sticky syrup, aids in preventing crystallization during the candy-making process.
- Corn Syrup – Separate from high fructose corn syrup, plain corn syrup is made by refining the sugar in corn to create a thick golden syrup. This helps make the candy soft and chewy.
- Modified Corn Starch – In this context, “modified” does not mean “genetically modified”. It simply means that the starch has been treated with heat, acid, or electricity to change its properties and create a better structure in the candy.
- Citric Acid – This is to add a secondary sour flavor, adding more depth and contrast to the sugary outer coating. It is found in citrus fruits like lemons and limes.
- Tartaric Acid – This gives the candies a more sour flavor and is derived from grapes and tamarind.
- Natural and Artificial Flavor – Common ingredients in candy that enhance the flavor of the treat.
- Artificial Colors – Colors are used to represent each flavor of the candy and make them stand out.
- Titanium Dioxide – This is a fine powder that creates a bright pigment in food and cosmetics. With these candies, it’s used to make the outer coating stand out against the brightly colored center.
Are Sour Patch Kids Gluten-Free?
Sour Patch Kids do not contain gluten. The ingredients do not contain gluten, a protein that is only found in wheat and some other cereals.
But because Sour Patch Kids are not gluten-free certified, they might be processed in a factory that also makes items containing gluten, and traces of gluten may end up in the finished product.
Find a different vegan candy choice with a label guarantee if you have severe gluten sensitivity or want candy that is approved for people with celiac disease.
Whether or not Sour Patch Kids are vegan is down to your personal interpretation of veganism.
From a basic standpoint, they contain no ingredients that aren’t vegan so you are free to enjoy this vegan-friendly product!