If you are thinking about making a dish that contains roasted cabbage, or you happen to have lots leftover after making a different dish, then you have come to the right place. There are so many different things that you can make using roasted cabbage, depending on what you feel like.
Roasted cabbage is one of the healthiest ways to cook cabbage, not to mention that it is absolutely delicious. You could simply use it as a salad topping, mix it into your favorite soup recipe, or even season it to enjoy it as a snack when you get hungry throughout the day.
In this article, we are going to share some roasted cabbage recipes with you, so you can choose one that you want to make for dinner. Roasted cabbage is something that can be used to make lots of different meals, so there are plenty of recipes out there for you to choose from. Just keep reading to find out more.
Roasted Cabbage steaks are both easy to make and absolutely delicious. One of the best things about them is that they only require 6 ingredients. This is a super simple recipe that can create the perfect tasty snack or a side dish to go with your mains. It is totally up to you how you want to serve them, but we are going to tell you a little bit more about them below.
These roasted cabbage steaks are really easy to make and they are super tasty. Due to the fact that they are roasted, the leaves of the cabbage will become really tender, and they will absorb all of the flavors that you include through seasoning that is sprinkled on top of them before you cook them.
The outer leaves also tend to become quite crispy, which provides the perfect contrast to the tender center of this cabbage dish. It is also completely vegan, and you will be able to pair it with various different dishes to create a full meal.
Another great thing about this roasted cabbage steak recipe is that it features ingredients that you will most likely already have at home. So, if you are looking to add some vegetables to your evening meals, then this could be the perfect healthy side to make.
Once you have taken just a few minutes to go ahead and prepare the cabbage, you can get them roasting in the oven while you prepare any other parts of your dinner.
We are going to tell you everything that you need to know about making your own roast cabbage steaks at home below.
What Do You Need to Make Roasted Cabbage Steaks?
The first thing that you will need to make your own roasted cabbage steaks at home is cabbage. We would recommend that you use green cabbage for this dish, but you can use red cabbage if you want to.
You will also need some olive oil for this recipe. However, you can use other types of oil, like canola oil, avocado oil, or sunflower oil as alternatives. You will also need some seasoning, like salt, garlic powder, and sunflower oil to add a bit of flavor to the dish. An additional item that you can add is red pepper flakes, but this is only if you want your dish to have a little extra heat.
Roasted Cabbage Steak Method
- To make roasted cabbage steaks, you will first need to cut off the stems of the cabbage heads, and then cut each of them in half. Then, cut them in half again. You should be left with 4 flat discs of cabbage that are between ¾ and 1 inch thick from each head.
- The next thing that you will need to do is to place the cabbage steaks on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Be sure to leave some space between each of them to allow for even cooking.
- Now, it is time to brush the cabbage with your olive oil, and you should be sure to brush them over thoroughly. You can then go ahead and generously sprinkle the salt, garlic powder, and paprika on top of each cabbage steak.
- Once you have done this, you should flip over each cabbage steak and repeat the previous step. Brush them with oil, sprinkle your chosen seasonings on top, and if you want to take things a step further, add a pinch of red pepper flakes to each of them.
- You should bake the roasted cabbage steaks for around 25 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. At this stage, the leaves should have been browned, but the center will still be quite tender. You can serve them hot out of the oven.
Helpful Tips for Making Roasted Cabbage Steaks
Firstly, you should always be sure to choose the right cabbage. When you are purchasing your cabbage when shopping for groceries, you should make sure that the cabbage you choose is both fresh and crisp. You should be looking for a cabbage that is tight and compact. Make sure that there are few loose leaves and that it feels heavy for their size.
Secondly, make sure that you don’t skip the oil brushing step, or that you don’t add too little. This step is one of the most important as the oil will help the cabbage steaks to become tender. As well as this, it allows the seasoning to stick to the steaks and ensures that they do not burn when they are roasting.
Lastly, you should also make sure that you are seasoning both sides of the cabbage, rather than just one. You will need to flip the cabbage steaks, add the oil again on the new side and add on your seasoning. If you apply these ingredients to both sides of the cabbage steaks, there will be a more even distribution of both flavor and texture.
What Can I Serve My Roasted Cabbage Steaks With?
Another great thing about roasted cabbage steaks is that they will go with almost anything. You can eat them on their own as a delicious snack, or you could pair them with your mains to create the perfect dinner. We will leave some ideas on how to serve your roasted cabbage steaks below.
Pasta and other grains – Why not serve up these roasted cabbage steaks as a side with your favorite pasta and sauce? Alternatively, they can work well with quinoa, rice, and various other grains.
Tofu – If you are looking for a vegan-friendly option, then why not top them with tofu?
Vegetables – If you are a lover of vegetables, then you could even serve them with other veggies like cauliflower rice, eggplant, mushrooms, and more.
How to Store and Reheat Your Roasted Cabbage Steaks
If you don’t manage to finish all of your delicious roasted cabbage steaks, then you should give them some time to cool down, and then place them in an air-tight container. Once you have done this, you will be able to put them in the refrigerator and store them here for around 3 days.
When you want to heat them up to enjoy at a later time, you can simply microwave them for just a few minutes, or pop them on a baking tray to heat them up in the oven. Either way, you will be able to enjoy your roasted cabbage steaks another time with no hassle.
Roasted Cabbage Steaks Recipe
If you want to try something a little bit different, then maybe this roasted cabbage recipe is worth taking a look at. While it is quite similar, there are a few different ingredients that might be more to your taste.
Something that you might be wondering about this recipe is any allergens that may be present. You will be happy to know that this roasted cabbage recipe is not only healthy, but is also vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and paleo-friendly.
It isn’t always easy to find recipes that are both gluten-free and dairy-free while being quick and easy to make, but this recipe really does have it all. It takes just 10 minutes to prepare this dish, and a further 25 minutes to cook it.
2 small cabbage heads
3 tbsp of olive oil
½ a tsp of salt
2 tsp of paprika
1 tbsp of garlic powder
- The first thing that you need to do is preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Next, you should brush both sides of the cabbage wedges with olive oil, before sprinkling them with your garlic powder, chili flakes, salt, and pepper. Once you have done this, you can arrange the wedges on a baking sheet.
- The next thing that you need to do is roast the cabbage steaks in your preheating oven for around 15 minutes. You should then flip them over and continue roasting them until they have browned in some areas. This should be a further 15 minutes. You can then squeeze a lemon half over each cabbage steak for some extra flavor.